Thursday, October 16, 2008

Reasons I'm a Bad Mother, entry #722 of ???

We've had a pretty eventful day today, we went to coffee with Mackenzie Turrill and her daughter Mimi, you can see pictures on Mackenzie's blog. Then we got home, McKenna ate some lunch, and I put her down for her first afternoon nap. She cried for a few minutes and went to sleep just as she usually does, then about an hour into her nap I heard her fuss for a few minutes, which regularly happens as well. I thought nothing of it, and didn't go check on her (here's where the bad mother part comes into play) and then 3:30 arrived, time for McKenna's next meal. She hadn't made a peep, so I went to go wake her up and change her diaper. Here's what I found:
Yes, that's my baby whose face is completely covered by a blanket, and about a foot away from where I put her in her sleep positioner (and yes, she does have a CU Buffaloes Ralphie Mobile, I know you all think we're crazy, but we don't care...she is lulled to sleep by the CU fight song, in the tune of a lullaby, "Fight CU down the field, CU must win..."). Good thing the blanket was just a receiving blanket and a really thin one at that. She doesn't seem to have suffered any ill effects:
She was, however, irritated with me for waking her up:

Also, McKenna absolutely hates tummy time, and I've been trying to think of creative ways to get her to do it, because at this point I fear I may still be carrying her around when she's 32. "Mom, I need to go to work, can I have a piggy back?" So, anyway, I read on some website that Boppy pillows work well to get kids who don't like tummy time to work on it, and then eventually they can be transitioned to lying flat on their tummies, and will learn to crawl, walk, pay their own bills, become Mensa scholars etc...

So here was my first attempt at laying McKenna on the Boppy. As you can see from the photo, she has really good head control, but still doesn't want to use her arms... so I let her try until she screams. It's exhausting, for me, I don't think she cares at all that she tortures me with her sad little face. See how much she enjoys it? Look at the huge, gigantic smile on her face:

Maybe she'll never have any upper body strength, and she'll have noodles for arms that she has to swing and flip up onto things to get them to do anything, like Elastigirl from The Incredibles, only without the freakish stretching. These are the things I think about during the day. Sad, I know.

Also sad, I fear my posts are about to get fewer and farther between (sorry Jocelyn), I have to go back to work on MONDAY. Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. McKenna will be ok. Me, I'm not so sure, the jury is still out on that one.

4 comments:

Angie @ Flibbertigibberish said...

Ha! The Elastigirl image is too funny. So is the image of McKenna, Mensa scholar, piggy-backing her way to work. Too funny.

Find time to post once you go back. You make me laugh!

Angie @ Flibbertigibberish said...

Oh yeah! And you're NOT a bad mom. That's happened to me too... not with Brody yet, but it will, I'm sure. I started covering the girls with crocheted blankets that had "holes" because I got so paranoid!

Sarah said...

Don't worry they don't need all their brain cells anyway! :) We are a fan of the crocheted blankets with holes also.

Mackenzie Turrill said...

:) ha! What a cute post! She seems to get cuter with each picture! Thanks for all of the travel advice! We made it back alive...sorry about the sadness with going back to work. Call if you ever need anything (or just to cry/vent)

mackenzie