Sunday, October 26, 2008

Nasal Aspirators are My Best Friends...

So the cold we thought McKenna had a few weeks ago, was pale in comparison to the cold she has this week.  I always feel so bad using the bulb syringe when her nose is stuffed up, but this week it has been unavoidable.  She looks at me as if I were trying to suck her brain out through her left nostril every time I try to help her breathe.  Sorry McKenna, it's for your own good.  

Because she's been so congested, I've had about 4 hours sleep total in the last two days.  The night before last was the worst one, she only wanted to sleep on me, and to sleep sitting straight up. I had to come down stairs at 4 am and sit with her in our leather chair.  Good times.  John read somewhere that we should prop up the head of her crib mattress so that she could breathe easier.  We discovered that gravity works, even in McKenna's bed.  
My idea was to put the pillow at her feet to keep her from sliding down... you can see that didn't work at all.  She seems to have a good attitude about life even though she's not feeling well, or maybe she just thinks we're ridiculous... who really knows. 
We also decided that giving her a warm bath might help with her stuffy head (in addition to the saline drops, humidifier, and baby vapor rub), she seemed to agree... what do you think?

Hopefully she'll be on the mend soon, but in the mean time, I'll continue to torture her with the nasal aspirator.  

4 comments:

Heather said...

Miriam has really bad acid reflux, so we have had to elevate her matress as well. She kept sliding down, too, so I bought a huge pair of women's underwear and some diaper pins. I put the underwear around the wedges that keep her from rolling off her back and then I pinned them all. So, now, when we put her in her crib, we put her legs through the underwear and she doesn't slide down any further than that! It's so sexy looking, too. ; )

Abby said...

Not sure what I'll do for that when I have kids... the sound that thing makes when sucking snot makes me gad. Really! Every time my sisters pull it out, I cover my ears. I know, I'm a wuss. Amy couldn't stand slobbery hands before she had Kenzie, and she got over it... guess I will too. Feel better, baby girl!

Abby said...

Uh, gag. It makes me gag. The End.

Angie @ Flibbertigibberish said...

Yeah, Abby's gadding is out of control.

I'm *slightly* obsessed with the "nose vacuum" as it's fondly referred to. That or the "snot sucker". I really need someone to just let me use it once or twice and TAKE IT FROM ME. I get a little compulsive and think there's just ONE MORE booger I can get out! I can see it! Waaay up there! Meanwhile, Brody is screaming his head off. I feel a huge sense of accomplishment when I get a big juicy booger out... like I must be a really good mom and surely Brody's happier because of it. Funny thing is, he keeps wailing and rarely seems happier. You'd think I'd learn...