Sunday, October 12, 2008

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

McKenna went on her first plane ride this week, the three of us went to California for a church conference that John attended at North Coast Church in San Diego called "Sticky Church" and for my Grandma's funeral. We spent the first half of the week in San Diego with my sister and her husband, and the second half of the week with my Mom and Dan. This is going to be long post... there are lots of pictures to share!

McKenna now smiles on demand, which makes for cuter pictures. Here she is before we left the house last Saturday. I think I said, "Are you excited to go see Grandma?" and this is the face I got from her:
We went to the airport around one o'clock on Saturday, and I literally had to wake her up to feed her before we got on the plane. She loves the car, train, and elevators for their white noise. Here she is on the train:


I gave her a little baby tylenol and had her suck on a pacifier when the plane was taking off, and she slept the entire way to San Diego:

Blair's in-law's own a bakery in Cardiff By the Sea, so of course we had to get McKenna her first doughnut, it's a right of passage for every 11 week old for those of you who didn't know...here's Aunt Blair helping her with her chocolate glazed with sprinkles (it's the one she asked us to get for her):
Speaking of rights of passage, we decided McKenna also needed to go to the beach. We strapped on her shades, and took her down on the sand in Cardiff. Here's a family photo and a picture of her standing in the sand (sort of):

After the conference was over, we went up to my Mom's in Orange County. McKenna got to meet Great-Grandpa. It's obvious from these pictures that they enjoyed each other. Grandpa calls her "Mac" which is pretty cute:


One of my oldest friends (as in length of time we've been friends, not her age ;-) ) came to see us on Friday night, McKenna took an instant liking to her as you can see from her goofy smile:

Aunt Blair bought McKenna this little pumpkin hat (which is already too small for her head, I had to wedge her head into it to take this picture) and Grandma bought her the candy corn PJ's to go with the hat, they say "Boo" on the bottoms of the feet:

After a whirlwind week of highs and lows, it was time to come home. McKenna got completely off her schedule, and I'm pretty sure she was having a growth spurt because she was eating about every two hours. She was in good spirits when we went back to the airport, she loves sitting up like a big girl! There's a video too, sorry that it's sideways, I can't figure out how to fix that...my smart husband is at work when I need him:



As you can see, she slept the whole flight home too:
When we got outside we had to wait for the bus for about 10 minutes, which felt more like 1o years, seeing as McKenna was the only one who had a sweatshirt. Both John and I were wearing t-shirts and I even had flip flops on. It was raining/snowing while we were waiting for the bus to take us to the Mt. Elbert parking lot by way of Mongolia.

Here was the weather report while we were standing on the curb (yes that says 39 DEGREES):

...and yes, those white dots in the picture are snowflakes :-(

When we got home, it was only 55 degrees in our house, we had to leave the fireplace and the heater on all night, McKenna even had to wear a hat to bed, you can see that she loved it!

All things considered, we had a good time and it was nice to see my family...sad that we had to come home to winter.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I love the pictures! Miriam has the same Halloween outfit. So cute. Thanks for taking the time to post. : )

Mackenzie Turrill said...

Yay! What a fun trip! She looks like a natural at the beach! We're actually headed to Boston on Friday (but it's just Mimi and I...yikes!). I'm glad that you forge ahead and do all of these things first so I can ask questions...:)

Mackenzie Turrill said...

Hey Lindz...what's your email address? You can email me at
mackenzie.turrill@hotmail.com..I'll try to stop clogging up your blog with my comments! Just wanted to know what you did with carseat/stroller situation. Did you check them at the gate? (p.s. that video is THE BEST!:) What a talker!)

Laura said...

ok...so fun! thanks for the pictures...first off though, you(lindsay) look very good for having an 11 week old, second...are you, mckenna, and your mom all wearing pink shirts?!?!yes, I think you are...and third, I see someone got their iphone?!?! :)